The Parish Church of St Paul
The earliest building on the site was Saxon but all that remains of this is a carved stone preserved in the porch. However, the church was important enough to be recorded in the Domesday Book.
The Norman church that replaced it was probably built in the 12th century and consisted of a chancel and nave - the original walls still survive. The south aisle and the battlemented tower were added in the 15th century.
During the 19th century considerable alterations were made both inside and out. In consequence, many of the original features were either moved or removed altogether and Victorian stained glass was put in the windows.
Of interest today are the 15th century font, the alabaster monument to the Weston family, the stone tablets to Robert Hunches and various memorial stones in the nave aisle bearing the names of families living in the village during the 18th century. In the churchyard there is a magnificent yew tree that is over 1300 years old and a fine collection of bale tombs, some belonging to the Chadwell family.